My favourite quotes-quotations, proverbs, idioms, sayings

Food gives energy, sleep preserves energy, excercise awakens energy and then we just discharge that energy.

It is exactly like we earn for whole day and in the end throw the same into well thinking it has become too heavy to carry.

[ shifted into topic 1370 ]

Also see my own culminations from diff books, movies, places here:

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Favourite Shaers, Couplets, dohe, Nazams

• Chak De! India: वार करना है तो सामने वाले के गोल पर नहीं, सामने वाले के दिमाग पर करो… गोल खुद ब खुद हो जाएगा.

• Mary Kom: कभी किसी को इतना भी मत डराओ कि डर ही खत्म हो जाए.

Mix- Interesting to say in general

Good judgement comes from experience. And lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Education, Love, Hate, Pride, Fear, Courage

Rabindranath Tagore: When you go for dissent of the state, be prepared for the lament of the state.

Every thing you say to someone is going to build on to their personality making them a different person, you can either build them up or break them down.

YCWin: Study as if you were to live forever, Live as if you were to die tomorrow.

Mark Twain: I would fail in a cause that will ultimately succeed than succeed in a cause that will eventually bound to fail.

YCWin: A purposeless life is a living death.

Comparing apples to oranges (comparing two non-comparable things). Ants to elephants (two very diff, but comparable items). honey and butter

YCWin: The most painful part of a commitment is accepting a breach when it occurs.

YouCWin: Persist in what must be done and resist in what must not be done.

YCWin: You are right if you think you can; you are also right if you think you can’t.

YCWin: Lack of discipline isn’t freedom.

YCWin: Who knows how late is too late to do some good?

Be yourself. No one can ever tell you you’re doing it wrong.

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.

You’re loved when you’re born and after you die. In between, you’ve to manage.

Don’t bite more than you can chew.

No one can stop an (good or bad) idea, whose time has come.

Teach your children to know the value of the thing, not the price.

Eat your food as medicines, otherwise you may have to eat your meds as your food.

Beggars and borrowers cannot be the choosers.

Don’t look into a gift horse’s mouth./Don’t count the teeth of a gift horse.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

YCWin: A horse that pulls cannot kick; a horse that kicks cannot pull.

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Panda Warrior: (Often) You meet your destiny on the very road, you took to avoid it.

Winston Churchill after WW2: This is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end. This is perhaps the end of the beginning.

The hot iron is often cut by cold iron.

YCWin: Takers eat well and givers sleep well.

YCWin: Drinking makes a person lose his inhibitions and give exhibitions.

YCWin: Only the educated are free.

YCWin: John Kennedy said (about fools), “Forgive the fool, but don’t forget his name.”

YCWin: Money will buy a great dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

YCWin: Needs are essential, desires are infinite.

Food gives energy, sleep preserves energy, excercise awakens energy and then we just discharge that enery. It is exactly like we earn for whole day and in the end throw the same into well thinking it has become too heavy to carry.

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Elvis is dead and I’m not feeling too good myself.

Elvis has left the building (show is over).

Kingship knows no kinship.

Truth told with bad intent, beats all the lies you can invent.

A man is never so weak as when a woman is telling him how strong he is।

Every Chandargupt Maurya has a bit of Chankaya in him, as every Chankaya has a bit of Maurya in him. More Chandargupta Maurya, or More Chankaya, is your choice only.

Crisis– In Chinese the word Crisis consists of two words Danger and Opportunity.

खामोशी जुर्म है जब मुहँ में जुबान हो, चुप रह कर भी जालिम की मदद होती है।

दिल को इस फरेब में रखा है उम्र भर, की इस इमितिहा की बाद कोई इम्तिहान नहीं होगा।

Contradictions

Fish said to water: You can’t see my tears because I am in You. Water replied: But I can feel Your tears because I’m in you.

Kabir, Rahim

बुरा जो देख्न मैं चल, बुरा न मिलय कोय। जो मन खोजा आपना, मुझ से बुरा न कोय।

पोथी पढ़-पढ़ जग मुआ, पंडित भया न कोय, ढाई आखर प्रेम के, पढे तो पंडित होय।

बड़ा हुआ तो क्या हुआ, जैसे पेड़ खजूर, पाथीं को छाया नहीं, फल लागे आती दूर।

रहिमन धागा प्रेम का मत तोड़ो चटकाए, टूटे तो फिर जुड़े नहीं, जुड़े तो गांठ पड़ जाए।

काल करे से आज कर, आज करे सो अब, पल में प्रलय होएगी, बहुरि करोगे कब?

कबीरा तेरी झोपड़ी, गल कटियन के पास। जो करेगा तस भरेगा, तू क्यूँ भए उदास।

चलती चक्की देख कर, दिया कबीरा रोए, दो पाटन के बीच में, साबूत बचा न कोय।

चलती है तो चलने दे, चलने दे दिन रात, जिनको प्रभु का आसरा, वही बचेंगे साफ (या रहन मात के पास)

People, Behaviour

एक कपूर की कपूरता, एक कपूर का कपूत ही नाप सकता है।

खुशी बिना हासी कदे आ नहीं सकदी। दुख भईडी दुनियअ वंडा नहीं सकदी। हँसोगे ता सारा जग नाल हसेगा, रोवोगे तो सारा जग दूर नसेगा।

दूध की राखी पर बिल्ला बिठाया, कब तक भली गुज़ारेगा। पी नहीं सकेगा तो डोल देगा, हाथ पैर तो मारेगा।

Ahmed Faraz: मैं चुप रहा तो गलतफहमियाँ बढ़ी। वो भी सुना उसने, जो मैंने कहा नहीं।

Harivansh Rai Bachchan: अगर छुपाना जानता, तो जग मुझे साधु समझता। शत्रु मेरा बन गया, छल रहित व्यवहार मेरा।

A closed mouth, catches no flies. एक चुप सो सुख।

रस्सी से साप बन गयी, माल खा खा पराया.

सदीक: अद्धी रात तक पढ़दी रहन्दी, चिठियाँ लिखन दी मारी। होली बोल कोई सुन न ले, मुझे भी यही बिमारी.

बीछू का मंत्र आता नहीं, साँप की बिल में हाथ डालता है।

ओ केड़ी गली, जिथे भावो न खड़ी।

गलां वाली जट्टी, न दूध न लस्सी।

Circumstances, Life, Philosohical

ओशो: अनैतिक दुनिया में नैतिक होना एक जुर्म है।

मडगास्कर: बदकिस्मती से यह सब किस्मत का खेल है।

शाम भूझी तो महफ़िल में रंग छाया। मरने के बाद ही तो होश आया।

xy dgrh rqe eq>s eqag ls fudkyks] eS rqEgsa xkao ls fudkyqxhaA

जितना नहाई] mruk iq.;

jc tc Hkh ekjrk gS] yB ugha*,* er ekjrk gSA

पीपल के पत्ते क्यूँ खाट kht लगायी है? मैं क्या करूं, रुत नयों की आयी है।

ਦਿਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਸੱਚ, ਕੋਠੇ ਚੜ ਕੇ ਨੱਚ

कुत्ते के गल पट्टा हो तो उसको बट्टे कोई नहीं मारता

अन्ने का सपना गुलेल का निशाना

कखा दी बेड़ी, बंदर मल्लाह

खू में गिरने के लिए एक छलाँग काफ़ी है, पर निकला 100 मार के भी नहीं जाता।

सरिकों से गुड भी छिपा कर खाना चाहिए।

सरीक का दाना पेट दुखदे भी खाना

अपनों की कीमत सपनों से ज़्यादा होती है।

जिसका हाथ खाली, वो सबसे बड़ा मवाली

जिसके सर ऊपर उसका हाथ हो, उसको उँगली नहीं करते।

Chak De! India: वार करना है तो सामने वाले के गोल पर नहीं, सामने वाले के दिमाग पर करो. गोल खुद ब खुद हो जाएगा।

Mary Kom: कभी किसी को इतना भी मत डराओ कि डर ही खत्म हो जाए।

Sultan: कोई तुम्हे तब तक नहीं हरा सकता जब तक तुम खुद से ना हार जाओ।

Thakur: दीना नाथ, इस दुनिया में अगर इज्जत से जीना है, तो कुछ मोल तो देना होगा।

Time, Death

नदी के पेड़ का क्या भरोसा? आज है, कल नहीं?

Panda Warrior: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why it is called ‘present’.

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up isn’t.

YCWin: Wear out, rather than rust out.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

With time and patience the mulberry (sahtoot) leaf becomes a silk gown.

It takes time to build castles.

It is never too late to ask what time it is

What may be done at any time will be done at no time

It is not enough to run; you must start on time.

You can’t buy an inch of time with an inch of gold.

It is only idle people who can’t find time for anything.

Love kills time and time kills love.

Time has strong teeth.

The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.

As today you’ve made Yesterday a lie, so will tomorrow do to you.

To be a fool at the right time is also an art.

Nothing is more changeable than time and a woman.

There is a time to fish and a time to dry the nets.

Lies, Truths

YCWin: The problem with lying is that one has to remember one’s lies.

Truth can be doubted, troubled, upset, but not defeated.

God/Wisdom

Someone asked OSHO, why people do meaningless chat, he replied, ab roj roj sarthak baten kahan se laayen!

Do not take my silence to be defeat. I’m simply deciding not to encourage your stupidity.

People say, bhagwan hamen baksho. Main kehta hu, bahut ho gaya, ab tum bhagwan ko baksh do.

Bhagwan ke baare mien agar itna samajh aa jaye, ki usay samjha nahi ja sakta, to samjh lo ki bahut kuch samajh aa gaya.

Budh ko kisi ne pucha, ki kyaa aap ko ishwar mil gaya h? Budh ne jawab diya, ki kya tumhara ishwar kho gaya h?

Mahatma Budh se kisi ne puchaa, itni der tapasya karne ke baad aap ko kya mila?; Unho ne jabab diya, mila to kuch nahin. Jo sadda se hi prapt thaa, wohhi dikhayi de gaya. Jo khoya hi nahi thaa, woh mil ho gaya.

Sherlock Homes 2009: How terrible is the wisdom, when it brings no profit to the wise? (in contrast: An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.)

Business, Success

There may be hundreds of reasons to give up, but one reason is enough to hold up.

You’re not defeated, till you think you’re defeated. You’re only defeated the moment you think you are (defeated).

माल कैसा भी हो हांक हमेशा ऊंची लगानी चाहिए। ~ स्पेनी कहावत

YCWin: Don’t compare your performance with other’s. Compare your performance against your potential.

YCWin: It’s not our position but our disposition that determines our destiny.

YCWin: A duty which becomes a desire will ultimately become a delight.

A Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity.

YCWin: Failures are of two kinds: those who did and never thought and those who thought and never did.

YCWin: The best ideas will not work unless you work the ideas.

बुराई बंदूक चलाना सीखा देती है, नेकी हल। - शोले

3 Idiots: कामयाबी के पीछे मत भागो, काबिल बनो, कामयाबी तुम्हारे पीछे झक मार कर आएगी.

Dhoom 3: जो काम दुनिया को नामुमकिन लगे, वही मौका होता है करतब दिखाने का.

Badmaash Company: बड़े से बड़ा बिजनेस पैसे से नहीं, एक बड़े आइडिया से बड़ा होता है.

Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani: मैं उठना चाहता हूं, दौड़ना चाहता हूं, गिरना भी चाहता हूं…बस रुकना नहीं चाहता .

Sarkar: नजदीकी फायदा देखने से पहले दूर का नुकसान सोचना चाहिए.

Namastey London: जब तक हार नहीं होती ना…तब तक आदमी जीता हुआ रहता है.

Jannat: जो हारता है, वही तो जीतने का मतलब जानता है.

Happy New Year: दुनिया में दो तरह के लोग होते हैं विनर और लूजर…लेकिन जिंदगी हर लूजर को एक मौका जरूर देती है जिसमें वह विनर बन सकता है…

Om shanti Om: अगर किसी चिज को दिल से चाहो तो पूरी कायनात उसे तुमसे मिलाने की कोशिश में लग जाती हैं।

Once upon time in Mumbai: रास्ते की परवाह करुंगा तो मंजिल बुरा मान जायेगी।

YCWin: Loosers dream, winners scheme.

YCWin: Winners choose what they say, Losers say what they choose.

YCWin: Winners use hard arguments but soft words, Losers use soft arguments but hard words.

YCWin: A common man seeks security, an uncommon man seeks opportunity.

YCWin: The world isn’t an obstable to your success. Lack of hard work, Commitment, Persistence, Priorities, surely are.

YCWin: Successful people are not ten times (or many times) smarter than the people who fail. They may be better by a nose but the rewards are definitely ten times bigger.

YCWin: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

YCWin: Success is not measured by our position or level (in life) but by the obstacles we overcame to reach there.

YCWin: The duck appears smooth and calm on the surface, but keeps paddling relentlessly underneath.

“Know your Limitations and be Content with them. Too much Ambition results in Promotion to a job you can’t do!” - Anonymous

Advices (Mostly from) ‘You Can Win’

Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.

Don’t trust a man/woman who doesn’t close his/her eyes when you kiss.

Evolve yourself: Knowledge- English- Languages.

Machinery- Computers.

Ladies Jobs. (?)

Have Broader Thinking.

Empathy (feel another’s feelings)- Impersonation.

Explain Yourself.

Talk to the Point- Be Aware our your Talk.

Fight Judiciously.

Be dependable, predictable, reliable and committed.

Don’t exaggerate your favors to others in your mind.

We are drowning in information but starving for wisdom. Education ought to teach us not only how to make a living but also how to live.

My question is when was the last time you sharpened your axe? Past glory and education don’t do it. We have to continuously sharpen the axe.

Knowledge is mere information, it is just potential power. It becomes power only when it is acted upon.

Our minds, like muscles, stretch or shrink depending on how much or how little we exercise them.

Positive thinkers are like athletes who, through practice, build an inner reservoir of stamina that they draw on in competition. If they don’t practice, they have nothing to draw on.

Positive people recognize their limitations but focus on their strengths. Losers, recognize their strengths but focus on their limitations.

If you want to build positive self-esteem quickly, one of the fastest ways is to do something for others who cannot repay you in cash or kind.

Remember, a person’s character is not only judged by the company he keeps but also by the company he avoids.

Winners have dreams, losers have schemes. (should’n have been contrary?)

Obstacles in my way of success (Procrastination, Lack of Commitment, Lack of Persistence, Lack of Priorities, Lack of energy/vitality/ hard work). Ability without hard work, patience, dependability, responsibility and flexibility is a liability.

Great talent without will power and hard work is a waste.

Idle time amounts to wasting/stealing time; leisure time is earned.

Hard work is both a beginning and an end in itself. The harder a person works, the better he feels; and the better he feels, the harder he works.

Don’t say, “I’d give up my life to do…”. Give it. [Guitarist example].

It took Noah Webster 36 years to compile Webster’s Dictionary.

How many doors can you knock to get your first sale. Ten, twenty, hundred…? But for the successful, this number cannot finite.

A stone is a hindrance or stepping stone, depends on your perspective.

Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can.

When I got tired and wanted to stop, I’d wonder what my opponent was doing. When I visualized him still working, I’d start pushing myself. When I see him in the shower, I pushed myself harder( Dan Gable, Olympic Gold Medallist in Wrestling.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves .

If people knew how hard I had to work to gain mastery, it wouldn’t seem wonderful at all.

An average person puts only 25% of his energy and ability into his work. The world takes off its hat to those who put more than 50% of their capacity and stands on its head for those few and far between souls who devote 100%.

Everything that we enjoy is a result of someone’s hard work. Some work is visible and other goes unseen, but both are equally important.

Know that courtesy and good manners take many small sacrifices.

Substance is far more important that form.

Under adverse circumstances, some people break down, while others break records.

When we give more than what we get paid for, we eliminate our competition. We become the competition.

Half hearted effort doesn’t produce half results; it produces bad results.

Most people forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well it was done.

It is better to do less in a better way than doing more in an inferior way.

The best teachers will not give you something to drink, they will make you thirsty.

Understand the difference between risk taking and acting irresponsibly (=acting without training or preparation).

Take risk but don’t gamble.

Only that who risks is free.

The total secret of success lies in two words persistence and resistance. Persist in what must be done and resist in what must not be done.

A man is hero not because he is braver than anyone else but because he braver for ten minutes longer.

Be content without lacking ambition.

There are three kinds of people: those who wonder what happen, those who watch things happen and those who make things happen. Who you want to be?

We are either progressing or retrogressing/evolving or devolving (orig: creating or disintegrating). There is no status quo.

Our friends are not the kind of people we want rather the kind of people we are.

Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare for the win.

It is easy to be average but tough to be the best. No wonder the average people take the easy way.

Do you have the patience to withstand the gestation period.

Some excuses given by losers: See I’ve a poor memory; I’m not smart enough; I’m not good at Math; I’m not an athlete; I’m tired/weak; I’m past the point of getting success.

Results count more than the reasons.

A good advice for failures is: Don’t think, don’t ask and don’t listen. Just rationalize.

Our lives are not long enough to learn only from our own mistakes, Make a habit of learning from other’s mistakes too.

The saddest part of the most people’s lives is that they die with music still in them. They rusted out rather than worn out.

I would rather wear out than rust out.

Someone asked an elderly person, “What is life’s heaviest burden?” The elderly person replied sadly, “To have nothing to carry.”.

Keep liberty different from indiscipline. Some so-called liberal thinkers have interpreted lack of discipline as freedom.

Steam won’t move the engine unless it is confined. Niagara Falls wouldn’t generate power unless it was harnessed.

Children brought up with excessive freedom and a lack of discipline grow up not respecting themselves, their parents or society, and have a hard time accepting responsibility.

Success is a matter of luck, ask any failure.

Some people consider a rabbit’s foot lucky; but it wasn’t lucky for the rabbit, was it?

Inspiration changes thinking; motivation changes action.

Negative motivation brings the desire to take the easier way which ends up being the tougher way.

An indicative list of people with poor self-esteem: They are bored and uncomfortable when alone; They make promises they know they are not going to keep (a person with high self esteem would prefer loss of business than loss of credibility because he realizes that one cannot put a price on one’s credibility); They spend money they haven’t earned, they buy things they don’t need, they try to impress people they don’t like; People with low self esteem go along to get along; They have self indulgence rather than self discipline.

Humility comes from confidence whereas putting yourself down comes from the lack of it.

In order for our children to turn out well, we need to spend twice the time and half the money.

It is less painful to learn in youth than be ignorant as an adult.

To make a child delinquent: Provide instant gratification for all his sensual desires such as food, drink, comfort (thinking deprivation can cause frustration). Don’t stop him doing what he wants because you believe discipline takes away freedom.

Compare yourself against your capabilities.

It is permitted to be fooled than be a fool.

Freedom is not procured by full enjoyment of what is desired but controlling the desire.

If I ever saw that a friend had had one drink too many, I would put my foot down and not let him drive. I would rather lose the friendship than lose a friend.

Let teachers teach our child that it is far more honorable to fail than to cheat. Teach him to have faith in his own ideas, even if everyone tell him they are wrong.

Treat people with respect on your way up because you will be meeting them on your way down.

Ego gives a swollen head while pride gives a swollen heart.

Responsibility gravitates to the person who can shoulder it.

When you accept additional responsibility, you are actually giving yourself a promotion.

A person who doesn’t accept responsibility is not absolved from being responsible.

Talent without tact may not always be desirable.

Communicate. Talk less say more.

Who likes to be around a grouch? None, except a bigger grouch.

An open ear is the only believable sign of an open heart.

Listen to feelings not just the words.

Enthusiasm is a habit that one can acquire and practice.

Discuss, explain, but don’t argue. Even if you are right, is it worth arguing? No! Because often the argument is coming from a closed mind trying to prove who is right rather than what is right? If you say something you are pretty sure about and the other person doesn’t agree and is argumentative, even if you can prove him wrong, is it worth it? How long would you keep making your point once again?

It is not worthwhile to reason with a prejudiced mind; it wasn’t reasoned into him so you can’t reason it out.

A narrow mind with a big mouth usually leads to interesting but pointless arguments.

Don’t exaggerate. It is like an addiction. It becomes a habit. Some people can’t tell the truth without exaggerating it.

Sincerity is no measure of good judgement. Someone could be sincere, yet wrong.

Confidence without humility is arrogance.

It is never too late for a good job because we don’t know how late is too late.

No one is too big or too busy to practice courtesy.

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and wrong. Because at times in our lives, we would have been all of these ourselves.

Make a habit of showing courage in the face of adversity; showing self-restraint in the face of temptation; choosing happiness in the face of pain/hurt; showing character in the face of despair; seeing opportunity in the face of obstacles.

When we permit ourselves to cheat once, may be in a small way, it is easier to do that second and then third time until it becomes a habit.

Good habits are hard to come by but easy to live with. Bad habits come easy but are hard to live with.

Remember fear is learned behavior and can be unlearned.

In doesn’t matter where we are. What really matters is in what direction are we heading.

Just because you’re doing something doesn’t mean you’re getting somewhere. See the caterpillars.

Gandhi: The worst scenario is: pleasure without conscience, wealth without work, knowledge without character.

If you are going to do some thing but are in doubt about its values, ask yourself if your children/your mummy would see this would they/she approve it or disapprove it and the clouds will clear sooner than later.

No possible gain can make up for the loss of your values.

The process of making a choice between two commitments would involve priority, responsibility and duty.

Other Memoralia

Letter By Amitabh Bachchan to a newspaper

From: http://blogs.bigadda.com/ab/2008/04/20/response-to-outlook-1/

You come from Allahabad, the city where I was born and brought up and where seven generations of my family were born and brought up. You are a poet as was my father. Without doubt you may have heard of him and perhaps read some of his works.

You have got this entire episode quite horribly wrong! My family and I are innocent bystanders in this entire episode. I am reminded today of my father’s famous lines:

Main chupana jaanataa toh jag mujhe sadhu samajhta,

Shatru mera ban gaya hai chhalrahit vyvahar mera -

If I knew how to hide things, the world would have considered me a saint,

My greatest enemy, sadly therefore, has been my unblemished countenance.

Your literary eminence would undoubtedly assist you in ascertaining the deeper meaning of my father’s words. However the deliberate abuse of your intellectual mind by the media leaves me and my family with an even deeper wound.

I write this to you in absolute confidence. I would wish that you keep this communication private.

Respectfully and with warm regards,

Amitabh Bachchan

Mr. Arvind Krishna Mehrotra

English Department

Allahabad University

Allahabad

Famous Wrong Prophesies by Famous People

Everthing that can be invented has been invented. (Charles H Duell, US Patent Office, 1899).

There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the Atom. (Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize (Physics)

I think there’s a world market of maybe five computers.(Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943)

Who the hell wants to hear actors talk? (Harry M Warner, Warner Bros. 1927)

Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote. (Grover Cleveland, US President, 1895)

The telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. (Western Union Internal Memo, 1876)

Movie Hereditary 2018 quote: My Darling, dear, beautiful annie. Forgive me (for) all the things I couldn’t tell you. Pls don’t hate me and try not to despair your losses. You’ll see in the end that they’re worth it. Our sacrifice will pale next to the rewards. Love. Mommy.

#filmy-quotes
#quotes-from-hindi-films
#collection-of-my-quotes

• Elvis is dead and I’m not feeling too good myself.
  • You meet your destiny on the very road, you took to avoid it.

Punjab 1984 movie की कुछ कहावतें/अखान:

• ਸੋ ਕੋਹ ਦਰਿਆ ਤੇ ਸੁਥਨ ਮੋਡਿਆ ਤੇ

• ਇੱਕ ਛਾਲ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਖੂ ਚ ਡਿੱਗਿਆ ਤਾਂ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ, ਪਾਰ 100 ਛਾਲਾਂ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਵੀ ਨਿਕਲਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ।

• ਅੰਨ੍ਹੇ ਦੀ ਰੀਝ, ਗੁਲੇਲ ਦਾ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨਾ।

• ਕੱਖਾਂ ਦੀ ਬੇੜੀ, ਬਾਂਦਰ ਮਲਾਹ।

• ਅੰਨੀ ਪੀਹਿ ਜਾੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਕੁੱਤੀ ਚੱਟੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਆ।

• ਸ਼ਰੀਕ ਦਾ ਦਾਣਾ, ਢਿੱਡ ਦੁਖਦਿਆਂ ਵੀ ਖਾਣਾ।

• ਗੁੜ ਗੁੜ ਆਖਿਆ, ਢਿਡ੍ਹ ਤਾਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਭਰਦਾ/ਮੂੰਹ ਤਾਂ ਮੀਠਾ ਨੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ।

• क्या किसी को इस पञ्जाबी कहावत का पूरा सही अर्थ मालूम है?

ਅੰਨ੍ਹੇ ਦਾ ਜਫ਼ਾ, ਰੋਹੀ ਚ ਖੜਪਾ। [spoken at 0923 hrs in the 1981 Punjab

कौन सी सबसे बढ़िया लगी?

• ਸੁਪਨਾ ਜਬ ਸੱਚ ਹੋਤਾ ਹੈ, ਸੁਪਨੇ ਜੈਸਾ ਹੀ ਲੱਗਤਾ ਹੈ।
  • ਪਾਣੀ ਉਤਰਿਆ ਖਵਾਜਾ ਵਿਸਰਿਆ।
  • ਮਰਦ ਅਮੀਰ ਹੋਵੇ ਤੇ ਔਰਤ ਖੂਬਸੂਰਤ, ਪਿਆਰ ਹੋਣ ਨੂੰ ਵਕਤ ਨੀ ਲੱਗਦਾ।
0 voters
  • माँवा धईयां मेलना, पएओ पुत जानी।

‘ਜੇ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਦੇ ਪਿਛਵਾੜੇ ਸੱਪ ਪਾਲਦੇ ਹੋ ਤਾਂ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਇਹ ਉਮੀਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਗੁਆਂਢੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਡੰਗਣਗੇ।’
Did you know this quote?:
Yes/No/Somewhat.

Do you know this quote: ‘ਜੇ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਦੇ ਪਿਛਵਾੜੇ ਸੱਪ ਪਾਲਦੇ ਹੋ ਤਾਂ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਇਹ ਉਮੀਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਗੁਆਂਢੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਡੰਗਣਗੇ।’
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Extra:
Process is the punishment.

‘ਦਾਦੀ ਮੋਈ ਪੋਤੀ ਹੋਈ ਟੱਬਰ ਓਡੇ ਦਾ ਓਡਾ’
Do you know this quote? Yes/No/Somewhat

Do you know this quote: ਦਾਦੀ ਮੋਈ ਪੋਤੀ ਹੋਈ ਟੱਬਰ ਓਡੇ ਦਾ ਓਡਾ
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat
0 voters

Extra:

• ਸਾਰਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਵੇਖੀਏ ਤੇ ਅੱਧਾ ਦੇਈਏ ਵੰਡ।
  • ਪਹਿਲਾ ਮੁੰਡਾ ਮਿੱਤਰਾਂ ਦਾ, ਲਾਵਾਂ ਵਾਲੇ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਨਾ ਕੋਈ
  • ਧੰਨ ਜਿਗਰਾ ਨਾਈ ਦਾ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹੇ ਨੈਣ ਜੱਟਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਤੋਰੀ / ਧੰਨ ਜਿਗਰਾ ਨਾਈਆਂ ਦਾ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾ ਨੈਣ ਜੱਟਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਤੋਰੀ
  • ਆਪੇ ਮੈਂ ਰੱਜੀ ਪੁਜੀ ਆਪੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਬੱਚੇ ਜੀਣ
  • ਆਪੇ ਪੈਰੀ ਪੈਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਬੁਢ ਸੁਹਾਗਣ। / ਆਪੇ ਬੀਬੀ ਪੈਰੀ ਪੇਨਾ ਆਪੇ ਬੀਬੀ ਬੁਡ ਸੁਹਾਗਣ

Do you know this quote?

Do you know this quote: ਛਾਨਣੀ ਲਾਹਿਆਂ ਉਠ ਨੀ ਹੌਲਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Extra:

• ਤਬੇਲੇ ਦੀ ਬਲਾ, ਬਸੇਰਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਗਲ ਪੈਣੀ।
  • ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਸੀਲ ਕਰਨਾ ਆਉਂਦਾ, ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਚੋਣਾਂ ਆਉਦਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ ।

A post was split to a new topic: My own collection of wisdoms from diff books, places

Favorite Quotes here:

Do you know these proverbs/quotes:
ਬਾਹਮਣ ਸਰਾਦੀਂ, ਤੇ ਤੀਮੀ ਵਿੱਚ ਮੇਲ ਦੇ,
ਕਾਟੋ ਵਾਂਗੂੰ ਫੁੱਲਾਂ ਤੇ, ਫਿਰਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਖੇਲ੍ਹਦੇ।

Did you know: ਬਾਹਮਣ ਸਰਾਦੀਂ, ਤੇ ਤੀਮੀ ਵਿੱਚ ਮੇਲ ਦੇ, ਕਾਟੋ ਵਾਂਗੂੰ ਫੁੱਲਾਂ ਤੇ, ਫਿਰਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਖੇਲ੍ਹਦੇ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Did you know: ਨਾਲ ਤਾਂ ਬਿਗਾਨੇ ਦੇ ਜ਼ਨਾਨੀ ਤੋਰ ਕੇ, ਰੱਖੀਏ ਨਾ ਝਾਕ ਦੇ ਜੂ ਠੀਕ ਮੋੜ ਕੇ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Did you know: ਆਵਾਜ਼-ਏ-ਖਲਕਤ, ਅਵਾਜ਼- ਏ- ਖ਼ੁਦਾ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Did you know: ਮੰਗਣ ਵੀ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੇ ਡੋਲੂ ਵੀ ਲੁਕੋਣਾ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

ਉਂਗਲ ਕੱਪੀ ਲਹੂ ਵਗਾਇਆ
ਵਿੱਚ ਸ਼ਹੀਦਾਂ ਨਾਂ ਲਿਖਵਾਇਆ।

Did you know this: ਉਂਗਲ ਕੱਪੀ ਲਹੂ ਵਗਾਇਆ, ਵਿੱਚ ਸ਼ਹੀਦਾਂ ਨਾਂ ਲਿਖਵਾਇਆ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

ਉਂਗਲ ਉਂਗਲ ਵੇਰਵਾ, ਪੋਟਾ-ਪੋਟਾ (finger phalanges) ਵਿੱਥ।
मतलब चाहे उँगलियाँ पास पास दिखती हैं, और आप उंगलियों पर डीटेल दे रहे हैं, लेकिन फिर भी उनकी दूरी, और डीटेल में कमी ज़्यादा है, जैसे की उंगलियों के फ्लांगस जितनी दूरी।

Did you know: ਉਂਗਲ ਉਂਗਲ ਵੇਰਵਾ, ਪੋਟਾ ਪੋਟਾ ਵਿੱਥ।
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

ਉੱਗਰਵਾਦ ਕਰੇ ਬਰਬਾਦ
(ਅਤਿਵਾਦ ਮਾੜਾ ਹੀ ਮਾੜਾ)

Did you know: ਉੱਗਰਵਾਦ ਕਰੇ ਬਰਬਾਦ (ਅਤਿਵਾਦ ਮਾੜਾ ਹੀ ਮਾੜਾ)
  • Yes
  • No
  • Somewhat

0 voters

Did you know these:

• ਉਹੀ ਬੁੜ੍ਹੀ ਖੋਤੀ, ਉਹੀ ਰਾਮ ਦਿਆਲ।

• ਉਹ ਫਿਰੇ ਨੱਥ ਘੜਾਉਣ ਨੂੰ-
    ਉਹ ਫਿਰੇ ਨੱਕ ਵਢਾਉਣ ਨੂੰ।

• ਉਹ ਨਾਰ ਸੁਲੱਖਣੀ,
    ਜੋ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਜਾਏ ਲੱਛਮੀ।

• ਵੇਖੀ ਚਲ ਮਰਦਾਨੇ ਰੰਗ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਦੇ
    ਆਪੇ ਮਰ ਜਾੰਦੇ ਜੋ ਦੂਜਿਆ ਨੁੰ ਮਾਰਦੇ

• ਰੰਡੀ ਦਾ ਜਮਾਈ, ਕਦੀ ਨ ਬਣੀ ਭਾਈ॥

• ਜਿਥੇ ਦੇਖੀ ਤਵਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਂਤ, ਗੁਜ਼ਾਰ ਦਿਯੋ ਉਥੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਰਾਤ।

• ਫਸਲੀ ਬਟੇਰ

• ਲੱਡੂ ਮੁੱਕ ਗਏ, ਯਾਰਾਨੇ ਟੁੱਟ ਗਏ।

बीजेपी ने मनप्रीत बादल को पार्टी में शामिल करवा के यह कहावत यथार्थ कर दी है:

“ਚਿੱਟੇ ਨੀਲੇ ਦਾ ਝਗੜਾ ਫ਼ਜ਼ੂਲ, ਅੰਨੀ ਕਾਣੀ (ਸਾਨੁ) ਸਭ ਕਬੂਲ !”

सबको मालूम है की मानप्रीत बादल ने पंजाब बीज भंडार, गिद्दारबाह्य वालों का और बठिंडा वासियों का क्या हाल किया है। मैं खुद उसका भुगत भोगी हूँ।

(रसोई में) ईसबगोल, (बस तू) कुछ मत फोल/बोल।

#Manpreet-Badal

सारी उम्र गालिब, मैं यही खता करता रहा,
धूल चेहरे पर थी, गर आईना साफ करता रहा।

From Movie ‘Nothing But the Truth’

• Some mistakes are like, wearing white after labour day,
    But invading Russia in Winter is entirely a diff thing.

• A solution that comes in the form of a loss of integrity, is no solution at all.

• Government doesn’t care where a celebrity had dined last night.

• It does make a diff whether you’re standing for yourself, or, is it some principle you’re standing for.

• Howsoever a man may lead a good life, give charity. But in the end, it will be his family who’ll come to his rescue. (in the movie, wording was much long and different. To go near that wording: A man can lead a good honourable life, but in the end the number of people who come to his funeral, generally depends on the weather on that day).

#Filmy-Quotes
#quotes-from-films

• A famous person once said, you need to be famous first.

• ਖਾਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਖ਼ਾਨ ਪਰੌਣੇ।

• ਛਾਨਣੀ ਲਾਹੇਹਾਂ ਉੱਠ ਹੋਲੇ ਨੀ ਹੁੰਦੇ।/ ਬਾਲ ਕਟਿਆਂ ਮੁਰਦਾ ਹੋਲਾ ਨੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ।

• ਉੱਠ ਨੀ ਕੁੱਦਦਾ, ਬੋਰੇ ਕੁੱਦੀ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਆ।

• ਉੱਠ ਅੜਾਉਂਦਿਆਂ ਹੀ ਲੱਦੀ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਆ।

• ਉੱਠ ਬੁੜਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ, ਪਰ ਮੁਤਨਾ ਨ ਆਇਆ।

• ਇਹ ਤਿਲਾਂ ਚ ਤੇਲ ਨਹੀਂ।

• ਤੇਲ ਦੇਖੋ, ਤੇ ਤੇਲ ਦੀ ਧਾਰ ਦੇਖੋ।

• ਆਪ ਪਕਾਈਂ ਨ, ਸਾਡੇ ਘਰੇ ਆਈਂ ਨ।

• ਨ ਖੇਡਾਂ, ਨ ਖੇਡਣ ਦੇਵਾਂ, ਖੁਚੀ ਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਮੁਤੁਗਾ।

• ਚੋਰ ਨਾਲੋਂ, ਪੰਡ ਕਾਹਲੀ।

• ਮੁਦਈ ਸੁਸਤ, ਗਵਾਹ ਚੁਸਤ।

• ਤੈਨੂੰ ਜੋਗ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਰਾ ਵੀ ਸਾਰ ਹੈ ਨੀ, ਤੇਰੀ ਉਮਰ ਹੈ ਅਜੇ ਨਾਦਾਨ ਪੁਤਰਾ।